My advice is made-to-order for each client and becomes more personalized as the client-consultant relationship becomes stronger and we journey through junior year of high school and the college search and application process together. An initial meeting with the student and parents establishes an open dialogue and places the student in the driver’s seat of the college search. I help the student and family define realistic and personal goals based on academic performance, areas of interest and accomplishment, financial considerations, and geographic choices.
I identify a “working list” of schools that, over time and with input from the student and parents, becomes a final list of colleges, each of which are a good match academically, socially, and financially. Finally, I provide individualized guidance through each step of the application process so that when complete, his/her application will introduce each unique and qualified student to the admissions directors at an appropriate and exciting range of colleges.
Learn what is offered starting Junior year:
Starting junior year through high school graduation, my advising includes:
- Initial consultation meeting with student and parents
- Identify strengths in High School curriculum and find areas for improvement
- Advice on final course selection
- Recommendations for extracurricular involvement and leadership
- Indepth discussions of student’s interests, strengths and goals
- Standardized testing recommendations (SAT, ACT, subject tests, test prep options)
- Ideas for summer involvement between junior and senior year (internships, paid employment, volunteering)
- Personality survey/intake interest survey of academic and social preferences
- Action plan with organizational timeline
- Preparation of a working, then final list of colleges that is uniquely suited to the student
- Advice on college trip planning and successful college visits
- Discussing application options (early decision, early action, and regular decision)
- Essay brainstorming and development
- Editing of Common Application essay and supplemental essays with multiple drafts until complete
- Editing of activities resume to be used in Activities section of college applications
- Review of all applications and assistance in submitting them
- Preparation for college interviews, including mock interview
- Advice on financial best fit
- Help with making final choice once decisions are received
Maggie – Thank you so much for all of your help with the college process. I would not have been admitted to Connecticut College without your guidance and I am very grateful!
At Greystone Educational Consulting, my goal is to help my clients get into a great college, as well as become happy, engaged college students and healthy, successful adults. I am a Professional Member of the Independent Educational Consultants Association and proudly serve on their outreach committee.